Canadian Masters Athletics (CMA) is seeking volunteers for a variety of tasks, including possible membership on the Board of Directors. If you are interested in volunteering, please take the time to read this message.
What is the CMA?
The CMA is the not-for-profit organization responsible for the promotion and support of track & field, road racing, racewalking and cross country running for Masters athletes (aged 35 and up). For our approximately 2,000 members, the CMA sponsors annual championships, maintains age-group records, represents Canada with international Masters organizations, and organizes Canadian teams for international competitions.
What is the CMA Board?
The CMA Board is the “hands-on” group, which is in charge of the CMA’s activities, and is composed of ten Directors, each serving a three-year term, elected by the members from across the country. As well, there are up to ten additional Directors named each year, each representing one of the provinces or territories. The Board members serve on a volunteer basis and without compensation.
Do some of the followings describe you? If so, please apply.
- Are you someone who is enthusiastic about or interested in track & field, road racing, racewalking or cross country running?
- Are you someone who wants to get involved with a group that can benefit from your special knowledge or skills, or do you want to learn more about the CMA?
- Do you have a few hours each month when you are willing to volunteer, either for monthly “Zoom” Board meetings or on an ad-hoc basis for other volunteer positions?
- We would like to better reflect the geographical diversity of our membership, so we encourage those in all areas of Canada to apply.
- To further reflect our membership diversity, we welcome applicants representing diverse sectors of the population, and encourage them all to apply.
- Upon acceptance as a CMA volunteer, you must become a member of the CMA, if you are not already one.
What volunteer positions are available?
We welcome interest in volunteering in several areas, including the following:
- Member of the Board of Directors (must be confirmed by the CMA members at an Annual Meeting).
- Maintaining Canadian age group records for our running, jumping, throwing or racewalking events.
- Assisting in organizing, or overseeing the organization of, athletics events.
- Selecting members to be honoured for their performances or their contributions to our sport.
- Assisting as a public relations resource, to enhance CMA communications with the public and its members.
- Helping to organize Canadian teams for international Championships or other events.
- Organizing the distribution of information to the CMA Board or to CMA members.
- Organizing meetings of the Board, or members’ Annual Meetings.
- Involvement with legal issues and CMA finances.
- Helping with communications in languages in addition to English and French.
How should you apply?
To apply, download and complete the Volunteer Information form (fillable pdf), telling us about your experience with or knowledge of Masters athletics, plus other experience and knowledge which you think will be useful in volunteering with the CMA.
Please email the completed Volunteer Information form to: CMA@canadianmasters.ca.
Initially, we will be reviewing applications received by February 5, 2023. A second phase of review will include those applications received subsequent to that date.